Friday, January 29, 2010

Website Story

After much deliberation I have decided to pander to unpopular demand and create a blog documenting my time here in Memphis, Tennessee. For those of you who don't know (which should be none of you) I decided during my 2nd year at Napier University to study abroad (or two) through the International Student Exchange Programme (ISEP) for my 3rd year. I had grown bored of dreary Scotland with its parochialness - not to be confused with Loch Ness by my American readers - and the chance to spend the year abroad was too great an opportunity to turn down. This blog will attempt to summarise my time here for the purpose of posterity and to save me bombarding my friends with colossal emails.

The question I was asked most before leaving for the States was either "why America?" or "why Memphis?". The question I get asked with worrying frequency here is the latter. To answer the first question, I decided my linguistic skills, or lack thereof, would limit me from integrating into a non-English speaking country. This left me with a selection of former British colonies. I overlooked (criminally you might say) Australia due to the gargantuan distance involved and thus discounted New Zealand for this reason. Realistically it had to be either Canada or the USA.

"Canada, it's not the party, it's the apartment above the party."

The above quote by my apparent sound-alike (if drunken Memphians are to be believed)and fellow Scottish diaspora member Craig Ferguson was a nice little analogy although it goes no way in explaining why I chose the land of the free over the land of the Cree (ahem!). The mundane truth is I decided on America due to there being far more universities offering classes that matched what I'd be taking at Napier. This makes perfect sense when you realise I'm studying Communication, Advertising & Public Relations - three quintessentially American areas of study. It's ironic that I'm in a city famous for soul music given how often I'm accused of selling mine after I tell people what I'm studying.

On the subject of music, Memphis is culturally one of the richest cities in America (monetarily it's sadly not so well endowed). How many other cities can claim three of the most recognisable faces of country, rock 'n' roll and blues as their own? However, Memphis was not my first choice. I had originally wanted to study at Loyola University in New Orleans but due to there being no spaces available there or at any of my other choices I was forced to reconsider. ISEP offered me either Louisville, Kentucky or Memphis, knowing nothing of Louisville I chose Memphis.

I have a whole semester behind me now so I'll try and condense that experience into my next entry. Until then I hope you enjoy this little introduction and feel free to leave a comment expressing your enjoyment/tolerance of my writing.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome, welcome! I will do my best to enjoy / tolerate your writing. I was wondering why the emails had dried up... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say "enjoy" comes closer to describing how I feel about your blog (what there is of it so far, anyway). Just thought I'd leave a comment so you know that what you write is being read, anyway, and not getting lost in cyberspace. Looking forward to the next entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best blog I have ever read by a Napier University Communication, Advertising & Public Realtions student studying in Memphis.
    I have become a follower, oh Guru. I eagerly await your next words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing as I'm not acutually one of your Facebook friends and your emails seem to be few and far between, this seems to be as good a way as I'm going to have access to, regarding your antics in Memphis - well those which you wish to share with your readers anyway.
    On a more positive note - yes a good start. I look forward to your next installment with almost as much enthusiasm as the next programme of "Madmen"!

    ReplyDelete