Thursday, April 29, 2010

Final hoedown

Jings, I have been rather lax with this whole blogging lark lately haven't I? So lax, in fact, that I am no longer in Memphis and only managed to write a measly five entries whilst there. The title 'Blogging in Memphis' is no longer accurate, but I feel I should write one last entry before calling it quits on this project. My last post listed some particularly stupid questions I was asked whilst in Memphis and I fear this may leave people with the wrong impression. I do not view Americans with contempt or regret choosing America for my year abroad. In fact, I sort of liked the quizzing I received.

Although I did encounter some rather ignorant people, the constant questions revealed a curiosity to Americans that is often unfairly derided. It is generally claimed that Americans don't place much importance on learning about other countries, as they believe there is no greater country than their own. Whilst there is an overwhelming sense of patriotism in the States, my own dealings with citizens didn't reflect this supposed superiority complex. When people discovered I was from another country I wasn't treated with suspicion nor was I met with hostility. One drunk girl did demand to know why I was foreign - as if I had some say in the matter - but that was the closest feeling to animosity I encountered. Instead reactions ranged from bewilderment to enthrallment. Given only 34% of Americans own a passport, meeting a European is a fairly novel experience for them and one they want to take full advantage of by asking numerous questions. Maybe this curiosity has been passed down through generations; after all the majority of Americans' ancestors (with the exception of Native Americans and African Americans) were curious enough to ditch Europe in order to better their lives. Ironically a lot of Americans I spoke to seem intent on making the opposite journey in order to achieve the same thing.

I often wonder what I'd be like if my ancestors had been more adventurous and moved across the pond. I'd probably be far less cynical, more gregarious and have a greater tolerance for time-outs in sport. As well as being curious, I found Americans to be very helpful and not simply those looking to gain credits from the international office. As I've mentioned before, being an international student in America makes one very reliant on others. This dependency, although irritating, allowed the locals to show their hospitality and show it they did. I will be forever grateful to all the Americans who helped make my stay in Memphis so enjoyable. If any of them are to visit my humble country I will attempt to return the favour.

The final couple of months in Memphis were as eventful as the previous ones. Highlights included spring break which involved a road trip - taking in New Orleans, Panama City Beach, Tampa Bay and Miami. Spring break is basically the American version of the 18-30 "alcoholiday" British people take in places like Ayia Napa and Magaluf. It was quite an experience although those involved are all getting a little old for the constant debauchery involved in such excursions. Trips to Nashville, where I got to sample ice hockey, and Arkansas, where I almost got to sample my first tornado, proved to be my final road trips in the land where the automobile, not customer, is the real king. I couldn't have spent my final weeks with a more repulsive yet lovable group of people. My international family.

It is for them I will reserve my final words. Without 'Team Europe', I would have undoubtedly had a far poorer experience and leaving Memphis would have been a far easier task. I had never expected to find kindred spirits in German, Danish, Italian or (least of all) French students. The exchange revealed the differences between Britons and mainland Europeans are only partially true. Our continental neighbours may be better at languages than us and they may have better diets, but they are in no way more sophisticated or better behaved. I have never before encountered such a crude group with an unhealthy obsession with bodily functions, and I doubt I ever will again. So to them, and everyone I became friends with during my time in Memphis, I say cheerio, auf wiedersehen, au revoir, arriverderci, hej hej and - to use the southern parlance - see y'all later. Much later.




No comments:

Post a Comment